Sunday, November 3, 2013

Wingin' It

Outline

When I began writing Beyond the Signs, I had no outline whatsoever. In fact, I’m one of those writers who don’t use any kind of outline. I shoot from the hip and hope the bullet goes somewhere in the general direction of the target. Writing this book is a little different, there is no target.

All my other books (Behind the Signs, Total Discharge, Spokes) all had a foreseeable ending that I would aim at, filling in the blanks as I wrote. Beyond the Signs has nothing to shoot at. I haven’t lived that long. This book could go on and on without a conclusion.

This in itself creates more than one dilemma. The first is how to arrange the chapters in a sequence that won’t disrupt the flow. The second will come along when the publishing process begins. What genre will it be? I won’t know until it is finished but then I will probably need to go back and re-write much of the book in order for it to be categorized into a specific genre.


If and when you decide to write a book, remember this: It isn't just firing up the computer, word processor, or typewriter, and popping out a bunch of words. There is even more to it than I just mentioned here.

Until Next Time,
Kirk Toncray
Check out my updated  WEBSITE.

No comments:

Post a Comment