Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Something Must Be Done

Dear Senator Wyden;

This email is being sent to you as the Social Security Administration is on the federal level but I am also contacting our governor, John Kitzhaber, as the Child Support Program is on the state level. I am disabled and receive Supplemental Security Income. The SSA encourages individuals to obtain gainful employment as much as possible. I receive $721 per month in SSI. I visited the website and called the SSA about returning to work, part time, as much as my personal disability will allow. I learned that any money I earn will be deducted from my SSI income

Here’s the tricky part; I owe several thousand dollars in back child support. This cannot be deducted from my SSI but up to 50% can be garnished from any earned income that I receive. This ultimately means I would need to work full time, which I cannot, and earn $14 per hour to break even to what I receive from SSI. I strive to better myself, and be an asset instead of a liability, but these circumstances prevent it.

Thank You,
Robert Kirk Toncray


No comments:

Post a Comment