Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Listen or Hear


This isn’t anything new; I just think it’s appropriate. Sometimes we get so caught up in our lives that we forget who we are talking to or the depth the short conversation may lead. Here’s an example. Bear with me; I’m a former Diesel Mechanic.
I was watching a lowboy hauling a log loader turn the corner with a flagger in front and a flagger behind. The ‘Oversize Load’ signs were up and as the driver rounded the corner, he was talking on his CB and I’m pretty sure he wasn’t ordering pizza. He was gaining information about his load. It may have shifted, come loose, etc. It could have been a real mess.
The flaggers weren’t just listening to the words that were flowing on that frequency; they were hearing what was said.
So many times in life we pick and choose what we absorb without allowing the true message to penetrate. I’m guilty, and so are you. When we walk by someone, do we say, “How’s it going?” just because it seems to be the friendly thing to do or stop and actually wait for a reply? Do we listen to the response or hear it?
Giving speeches is a blessing that is no doubt one of the best ways for me to gain awareness of homeless persons. I have gotten response from my last speech and it seems the audience has heard the words, not just listened.
Until later,
Kirk Toncray
WEBSITE

No comments:

Post a Comment