Monday, October 14, 2013

Beyond the Signs – another excerpt

Chapter 4
Eggshells

Have you ever been in a situation where you feel like you just don’t belong, like you shouldn't be there, like you don’t deserve to be standing, sitting, or even breathing? Sure you have, unless you were born under a rock and don’t give a damn about anyone but yourself. If you feel like that, stop reading this book now because you won’t get anything from it. It will only give you more fuel to continue your selfish, arrogant, self centered life.

For the rest of us who have at least a trace of a heart, we've been there, feeling like a thistle in a patch of dandelions. We stand out like a sore thumb. At least that’s the way a person feels when negative thoughts pound in the head like; Hey, I don’t belong here; I don’t fit in. Those are terrible feelings and very difficult to avoid no matter how hard others try to make you comfortable.

As I mentioned earlier, I felt that way while staying with my parents but that wasn’t all of it. I felt that way, and to an extent still do, everywhere I went. It boiled clear down to little things such as who was going to grab a box of Cheerios at the supermarket. Should I get one first or let the person behind spend ten minutes deciding on Honey-Nut or regular? I knew what I wanted but felt obligated to let the other person go first because he or she is probably better and more deserving to go first than me, a person who spent years living on the streets.

I always feel labeled, like most persons are better than me simply because most persons never had to live the nasty, filthy, inappropriate lifestyle that myself and many other homeless persons have lived. The label that I carry is Former Homeless Person. It’s a tag I will never lose because it is true. Being labeled isn’t fun and nobody should wear one simply because life puts people in situations that are beyond control. A police officer wears a badge and usually sports it with pride. Most former homeless persons choose not to wear such a decoration. The stigma is still there but usually not advertised unless knowledge of previous situations could be beneficial to others. Most people don’t see it; it isn't visible, but it’s there.

Feeling like I am walking on eggshells also promotes paranoia. Shortly after I got ‘off the streets’ and was able to go grocery shopping, eat at a restaurant, or appear in other public places, I always felt like there were eyes upon me. Often, people have come to me and said things like; I’ve seen you before. You look great.

While that is somewhat flattering, the puff of it goes away almost immediately when their back is turned as I move in the other direction. That’s when the paranoia gains more traction and the eggshells get crunchier. The breaking shells get louder with every footstep I take. I just want to leave the entire area and hide. I don’t want eyes staring at me. I don’t know what is going through people’s minds. Is it sarcasm? Could it be pity? Am I being applauded? I never know as I continue with my business and try not to fall into a panic attack.

The sensation of walking on eggshells sneaks in from all different directions. Even though my parents did their best to make me comfortable at their home, it was still their home and I often felt like I was an intruder. It became so difficult for me to accept that I often felt guilty for vacuuming the carpet or doing the dishes, knowing that I might be doing it a different way than the chores are usually performed. I feared that I might be disturbing someone from the noise from the vacuum cleaner, the lawnmower, or even the washing machine. In the middle of the night when Mother Nature calls and I needed to go pee, I wondered about flushing the toilet or not closing my bedroom door gently enough so there wouldn't be an audible ‘click’.

It wasn't just at my parents’ house that I felt the eggshell effect. It happened everywhere. I would get on the bus and feel like I shouldn't pull the Next Stop cord unless someone else was getting off at that stop too. I felt like I just might be taking too much time getting on or off the bus and disrupting someone else's busy schedule.

All of these things stem from being homeless and lowering my self-esteem so low that I don’t want to bother anyone with anything. I felt like I am not deserving enough to act the same way as others do or enjoy anything that a ‘normal’ person would.

Until Next Time,
Kirk Toncray


No comments:

Post a Comment