Wednesday, October 9, 2013

First Sample

I have decided to include a few sample chapters on this weblog to give some insight on my latest book, Beyond the Signs – Behind the Signs part II. This is the first entry:

Chapter 3
Shame and Hiding

Mornings were a real bitch for me. Feeling unwelcome was only part of it even though it was only in my head, not in reality. My parents did their best to make me feel as comfortable as possible but somehow I still felt out of place, like I didn't belong. I will go into more detail about that later in this book.
Crawling from bed proved to be a real hassle due to the persistent infection in my leg that still required attention several times a day. I spent nearly a half an hour each morning taking care of the leg so the infection would go away completely. This required putting on latex gloves and using sterile gauze pads to dip into a jar of special anti-bacteria ointment which also included antibiotics. Each time I applied a film of the cream I had to use a new gauze pad so the remaining cream in the jar would remain sterile and pure. It usually took five or six pads per session.
After the cream was applied, my mom insisted on looking at the infection and she would usually call my dad into the bathroom to inspect it as well. This took its toll on my ego. I really don’t know why, it just seemed like I was once again being treated like a child. After all, I had just came off the streets, so to speak, and when I was on my own, I was somewhat forced into taking the Rambo approach on things of this nature. What I mean is; Do it or die, Buckwheat, you’re on your own. I had nobody, really, to take care of me; it was strictly dog-eat-dog.
After the parental inspection was complete, on came a new pair of latex gloves to cut medical tape and cover the infected and treated area with a bandage and several strips of tape. After that was applied I wrapped another layer of a different type of tape all the way around my let for further protection. There really wasn't any pain involved, which was surprising. Looking at that leg with that God-awful infection was enough to make a goat puke but it really didn’t hurt. It just looked disgustingly terrible.
When that job was completed and I cleaned up the mess, washed my hands and brushed my teeth. It was then time to hobble out and pour myself a cup of coffee. Most mornings I would yell, “Anybody need more coffee?” My dad would usually grab his cup and chug whatever was left and yell, “Yes!” That became a joke between us for several years. It happened almost every morning. It was sort of one of those; I really don’t know what to say so let’s just keep the conversation at this level, sort of things. You know what I mean; we've all been there before

More next week
Kirk Toncray


No comments:

Post a Comment